This webinar offering concentrates on lateral analysis of deep foundations. Deep foundations are often used for structures which experience large lateral loads for which shallow foundations are not feasible due to large overturning moments and resultant load eccentricities. The LRFD platform offers a rational framework for performing lateral analysis of deep foundations. The webinar will be primarily based on the latest Edition of LRFD Bridge Design Specifications Developed by the American Transportation Officials (AASHTO). Applicable articles in Sections 3, 5, 6, 19 and 11 of AASHTO LRFD Specifications will be used as a basis of discussion. The webinar material will be applicable to different types of deep foundations such as driven piles, drilled shafts, and micropiles.
Primary Discussion Topics
The speaker will discuss:
- Loads and limit states from a lateral analysis perspective
- Models for lateral soil resistance using soil-structure interaction concepts such as the p-y method, structural resistance of piles, pile head fixity, group behavior, and equivalent cantilever model
- Extreme events, scour and other special considerations such as downdrag, lateral squeeze and collapse susceptible soils
- Steps for lateral load analysis
- A detailed example problem to demonstrate the application of LRFD principles